Time to reveal the family room...this room had some challenges. It's not very big, and it has built ins that were obviously meant for big plants or works of art...which isn't exactly toddler friendly.
As I started putting the room together, it was feeling a little blah, and looking too much like the before pictures. Not that it's a bad thing, but I wanted this to be OUR house, and be something different. So, I found an unopened can of tan paint in the garage, and an idea was born! While Molly was asleep, and without even mentioning it to Marty, I risked my life taping off the "chimney" and mantle, and set to painting an accent wall.
As I started putting the room together, it was feeling a little blah, and looking too much like the before pictures. Not that it's a bad thing, but I wanted this to be OUR house, and be something different. So, I found an unopened can of tan paint in the garage, and an idea was born! While Molly was asleep, and without even mentioning it to Marty, I risked my life taping off the "chimney" and mantle, and set to painting an accent wall.
![]() |
| Taken with my cell phone to show my family how crazy I am...they get a lot of these kind of text messages. I had only painted the top part at this point. |
Once the painting was finished, it was time to do something to make the mantle stand out. I heard that sometimes country stores (or feed stores) will give their wood pallets away or sell them for cheap. So we went and got a wood pallet from IFA Country Store for $2!
We had to tie the pallet to the top of our car to get it home since we had gone as a family and couldn't fold down the seats in the back of the Yukon. The things my wonderful husband does for me. :) Then I went out back with a hammer and crow bar and carefully dismantled the pallet.
This was just as we had gotten the first little bit of wood on - another picture with my cell phone to text my family.
We then added the rest of the wood, and I stained it...the finished product is AWESOME. We then decided to use the leftover wood from the pallet to build shelves in the built ins.
ANYWAY...here are the actual before and after pictures now that I've gone on and on about my mantle redo.
************************
************************
Getting closer to show the mantle and shelves...
Another angle
This is one of my favorite little spots on the wall...
At Ben's funeral, Aspen read these "promises". We all loved them so much, and I knew I wanted it framed as a reminder. So I made this sign and hung it where I walk by it multiple times a day.
We love hanging out together in our family room. It's a great, cozy little place, and I love how it all came together!






1 comment:
That looks so great!
Post a Comment