Saturday, February 13, 2010

Under-qualified for the job



Do you ever wonder if you're actually qualified for your job?  For me there were times when I felt like my job title was below my ability (sandwich maker, envelope stuffer) and times when I felt like it might be a little more than generous (loan processor).  But never in my life have I felt like my job title was SO far above my ability than I do now.




Mom



My goodness, the weight of responsibility associated with this job is suffocating at times.  The deadlines are ruthless, the hours are horrible, the pay is measly, the cleaning company doesn't keep up, the boss is a nut case (me) and the employees require way too much micromanaging and assistance at times.

I don't know what it is about having this third baby, but I feel the enormity of my job title on a daily basis.  Just trying to juggle making dinner with a baby screaming in the swing, a toddler screaming on the potty and a preschooler crying because they're hungry, seems to be too much at times.  I feel like maybe I'll crumble under the pressure at any moment and maybe I should quit the job and move to Hawaii and live on a beach.

But then who would give me infinite amounts of hugs and kisses?  Who would tell me they love me - even after they got in trouble?  Who would hold my hand and snuggle with me while watching "Barbie Island Princess" for the millionth time?  Who would I listen to giggling in the other room?  Who would I watch discover their own hands?  Who would laugh at all my jokes?

So maybe it's the hardest job I've ever had.  But the benefits package seems to be unmatched.  I guess I'll stick it out and hope that at some point I feel a little more qualified....but I'm not holding my breath.

5 comments:

Emily Hartvigsen said...

I'm glad I'm not the only Mom that feels this way! :)

Mike and Michelle Ball said...

We all feel that way! I'm sure you're a great mom!

Cleverly Triple said...

OH MAN....I'm so gonna say...
DITTO!

Brittany said...

That's a good perspective to have. Today I seriously called Bryan at work and asked him if we could go on vacation...kid free. Ah, to dream. Not that we don't love them, but sometimes all the tasks you have to juggle just seem so overwhelming! But know that you are doing a great job!

Emily said...

Well even if it's very chaotic sometimes - I think you are one of the BEST moms! Obviously it's no walk in the park, but I guess that's why it's good they generally come one at a time! I have to admit your post gave me some good laughs, and if not for that I may have cried thinking of all the responsibility! ;)