Thursday, February 4, 2010

To pierce or not to pierce...that is the question

Brielle asked me the other day if she could get her ears pierced.  Okay...she actually asked if she could have earrings like her friend does, she didn't know what that entailed.  I personally think it's super cute when little girls have earrings, but I wasn't sure if I was ready for my little girl to have earrings.  Me and Marty had never discussed this EVER.  I had no idea what his thoughts were on the matter.

My parents were of the ancient (a.k.a. cruel) way of thinking and we were not allowed to get our ears pierced until we were 12.  By then the magic had worn off.  We were too old to have FUN with earrings. I got my ears double pierced (*gasp*) when I was like 15-ish...that only lasted a few months before my ear lobes were protesting from all the holes in them and I was constantly getting infections.  Besides for a few fancy events and for choir in High School, I stopped wearing earrings altogether.

So...when Brielle asked me, I told her to go ask Marty - the classic parenting move. However in hind sight I would have told her that I would talk to daddy about it first. I really was assuming Marty would tell Brielle no, because he seems to be very conservative about his sweet little princesses. 

Imagine my surprise when he said it was fine with him! 

So I did what any good mom would do and began trying to scare Brielle telling her how bad it hurts and that they basically give you a shot in your ear to push an earring through.  She said "Well, I'll just hold your hand and I'll be okay."   I guess she doesn't scare easily when it comes to anything that helps her achieve her princess status more fully.

I go back and forth between thinking we should and thinking we shouldn't.  I know she would love it, but am I ready to have my little girl grow up a little bit?  Am I being too dramatic?  (You don't have to answer that)

I guess for now we'll wait and see if she keeps asking or if she forgets all about it.  

Yes...that sounds like a good plan.

4 comments:

Chantele Sedgwick said...

All Kinley wanted for her birthday was to get her ears pierced. Well, She ended up getting sick that day, so we couldn't go. We are going to take her sometime next week! Our agreement, is when our girls are old enough that they can ask for it themselves, then they can get them. (I had my ears pierced at 5, and got them a second time when I was around 15 as well.:) I let the second holes grow back in though, since the church came out and said not to have your ears pierced more than once. That was a sad day, but I did it anyway.) Good luck!!:)

Aspen said...

Ever since you and I talked about this I've been tempted to cave and let Els get hers done rather than waiting until she's 10. I mean, she is 6. And you're totally right about the magic thing. I'll have to bring it up to Steve. Maybe we'll do it as a kindergarten graduation thing??

Annie said...

You think 12 is bad? My parent's wouldn't let my sister and I get ours done until we were 18. My dad worked with some lady that had some serious infections and ended up losing part of her ear. By the time I hit 18 I really didn't care that much anymore, so I've never had them done.

Anonymous said...

Was searching for a GF's blog with similar name and came across yours.

Started reading and saw your post about going back and forth whether or not to let you dd have her ears pierced. Our dd was slightly over 2 yrs old and wanted earrings liker mommy. Dh was okay with it and I asked our ped. She encouraged me to do it when mommy could care for them.

Our ped gave us some great suggestions for moms having their dd's ears pierced which included some OTC meds to minimize any discomfort. She recommended Piercing Pagoda due to their experience with infant ear piercing and professional training. We were very pleased!

Write me an e-mail if you would like our ped's suggestions and I'll send them to you.

Amy
amyswor@hotmail.com