I am starting to wonder when I am really going to feel like we are 'home' here in Texas. There is the old saying "home is where the heart is" and when I am in my house with my kids and husband all together I have the feeling of home. It's just that when I look out the windows, THAT still does not feel like home to me. It doesn't feel as shocking to my system as it used to but there are many things that I really miss from Utah.
I miss driving a few minutes to spend the afternoon with my sister.
I miss the smell of my dad's garage.
I miss pizza night.
I miss the chaos of family get together's (never thought I'd say that).
I miss the D.I.
I miss Sunday family dinners.
I miss the mountains.
I miss Cutler's.
I miss having baby-sitters!
I miss going to Deseret Book or Seagull Book.
...this list can go on and on, and in my head it is.
I wish I could say that I'm adjusting more to being here. But really I just try to fill our schedules full of activities so that we stay really busy. Busy means we don't have too much time to feel sad...we = me of course. Because I am feeling particularly homesick today, I am going to make an "I Like" list of the pro's to living here, the things that I like about being in Texas.
I like that the high will reach 70 degrees next week (yes, I'm rubbing it in).
I like having no inversion.
I like that the humidity has kept my cold's from turning in to bronchitis.
I like that the general population is SUPER friendly.
I like that there is no "Keeping up with the Jones's" going on here. It's fantastic!
I like that I've personally grown up a lot
I like that my homemaking and baking skills have improved a LOT.
I like that the fast-food restaurants aren't super close. Eating out takes more effort.
I like that stores are further away as well, shopping to "waste time" isn't so tempting.
(Marty's wallet seems to appreciate this the most.)
That list could also go on and on as well...which was more therapeutic than I expected. :)
So maybe we are adjusting a little bit...I guess I need to just give the opportunity more of a chance and change my mindset in to treating it as an adventure rather than focusing on anything I don't like.
Maybe THAT will be my New Years resolution (it's not too late, right?)
3 comments:
After reading this it breaks my heart that you have consented to moving to Kentucky after I'm out of the military. It appears my military prowess has been spotted by the 2nd Kentucky Cavalry Company D and will be taking over for civil War reenactments when I'm done with the military. It just so happens I'm really good at dressing up and playing dead.
The first year... you kind of just survive it. Year two will be better... it might even scare you when the thought of moving away makes you totally sad.
Find a bosom buddy friend that you can bond with and really be yourself around. That totally helps.
Also, ask a ward local what's awesome about your area and go explore and check those places out with your little family. Take fun pictures and beg your family to come see you.
Invite people over for Sunday dinner (even if it's the Elders) Maybe they'll return the favor and invite you. I know you just had a baby and the thought could very well be overwhelming... so when you feel up to it. I just think it's nice to have that distraction on Sunday.
Bond with Elderly couples in your ward who live away from their Grand kids. Your kids might help their sadness... and it's always fun to see people fall in love with your kids.
Those are my ideas. Take them for what they're worth. I totally feel for you. HOORAY FOR NO INVERSION, right? That's what I keep saying.
Post a Comment