I feel like I've kind of dissappeared for a while...and you know what? It's been kind of nice! But at the same time, I've been racking my brain trying to think of SOMETHING to blog about. Sometimes it just flows, other times it's a drought and I've got nothing. Right now we're in a drought...if you haven't noticed.
You want to know the AWESOME parenting moment I had yesterday? I know you do...plus it's something to blog about...I guess.
Marty likes to tease Brielle, mostly because she doesn't take teasing well and he's either trying to toughen her up or is cruel and thinks it's funny how worked up she gets over nothing. I'm sure it's out of the kindness of his heart and wanting to make sure she can handle the brutality of first grade next year.
After listening to her whine that daddy was teasing her for a while, my childhood came flashing back. All the times I was teased by an older sibling of mine, who happened to be a boy (insert sad violin playing) and was left in tears over...well....nothing really. I couldn't take it anymore, and I did an awesome thing. I taught Brielle a rhyme Marty's family used to say about his name when he was little.
"Marty farty had a party, everyone was there, tooty fruity let a beauty and everyone ran for air."
All she needed was the first portion to feel totally vindicated. She said it over and over to him, laughing so hard that she had this on her daddy. "Marty farty had a party! Marty farty had a party!"
He did say to me, "Uh...I'm the dad, you can't teach her that."
Too bad...I did...because I'm awesome.
But he one-upped her and made a rhyme up about her name.
"Brielley smelly had a belly, that was full of poo. She sat in plants and pooped her pants, because that's what big girls do."
I'll admit it, we laughed. Good parenting? Not so much. Hilarious? YES!
But of course Brielle didn't agree. The fun was once again over as she cried "I did NOT poop my pants! STOP IT!"
I tried to explain to her that if you can dish it out, you've got to be able to take it (a lesson I obviously never learned as a child).
So then she started saying, "Daddy, stop saying it, I didn't tease you, so you have to stop teasing me."
She apparently missed my lesson, teasing doesn't conform to the golden rule.
She was supposed to learn to come up with her own stuff and tease right back!
(I guess the lesson should have been to ignore it or laugh along with him...but hind sight is 20/20 isn't it?)
Another point towards earning my Mother of the Year Award!
5 comments:
Oh my... I laughed and laughed, read it to Steve and laughed. Those Davis's sure can make up a potty song!!
Ha ha - poor Brielle, she's so tortured by her parents, and unfortunately she's a softy/emotional girl like you who won't appreciate the jokes until later in life. Nice work Marty though, I'm impressed with his impromptu song :)
your husband and mine could run a workshop on how to tease your daughters!! love it. love that the blogging muse struck you because i always love your posts
seriously, you should get 100 points for that! I think it is awesome! I'll have to remember that about Marty. Although, I don't know if I could take him making up a rhyme about Anna Banana loving Hannah Montana or anything like that. Gross! I might cry! :) Brielle is so sweet. We love her!
Ha ha ha! :) I am SO excited you guys are moving back here! I know, a little late, but I've fallen off the blogging wagon for a while. Hopefully I can get back into it... Anyway, I'm so excited for you! Now we can finally meet!! :D
Post a Comment