Addison has met physical milestones right on track. Rolling, sitting, crawling, standing, walking, climbing, running and small motor skills have all been moving right along.
The one place I have concern is with her speech.
After a LONG winter with a TON of ear infections, Addison got tubes in her ears a couple weeks ago...which could be a blog post in its own. But let's just say the surgery went well...coming out of anesthesia was about as smooth as her coming out of the womb...meaning she came out kicking, screaming bloody murder and inconsolable...it was super awesome, especially since there were multiple people in the recovery room coming out of surgery. Nothing like coming out of anesthesia to a baby screaming like a mad person.
ANYWAY...the doctor said there was SO much thick gunk in her ears that they wouldn't be surprised if she could hardly hear before, and that she should definitely have a huge improvement, which in turn should help her speech.
So I know the tubes weren't going to be an instant fix, and she wouldn't come home speaking in full sentences, but the worry of her speech is still there. And the thing that makes me worry more is when I do the one thing I've always tried so hard not to do....compare her to other babies.
Why do we do that! Why do we compare them with others?
YES, Addison says some words: Hi, bye, mom, dad, thank you, uh-oh, wow, that, Cuh (for Claire), Iz (for Lizzy) - And Brielle is also referred to as Cuh.
She seems to be babbling more and mimicking sounds more as well. Her screaming has decreased since getting the tubes, which is nice, but as silly as it sounds, I guess I was hoping for a quicker move into trying out some words. Why am I being so ridiculous?
I know I need to stop focusing on her speech and look at what a happy, healthy, beautiful baby girl she is.
I am SO blessed and lucky to have her.
Besides...maybe I'll regret wanting her to talk more when she does and won't stop.
So maybe her not talking more is a blessing in disguise...right? Right?
I'll start looking at it that way.
5 comments:
i feel like i can say i understand 100% where you're coming from. Brighton had ear infections/thick mucus problems too and it was all around the time i was on bedrest in the hospital so it went un-resolved til i got home and realized her speech wasn't up to par. we got her ears back to normal and her speech wasn't developing as quickly as i thought/hoped. when i really saw an improvement is a few months after she started preschool. she still is behind where she should be but it's getting better. and all 3 of our triplets are VERY behind on speech. all mason says is "gahhh" when he wants something or is upset. we qualified for early intervention and the therapists haven't come to our house yet to come work with the kids but they did give me a great tip...maybe you can use with addison. they said talk...A LOT...to the point where you're exhausted by the end of the day. they said talk about every single little thing you're doing during diaper changes and bath time go over body parts. SORRRRRY that was a novel! anyway, i hope that i helped some in easing your concerns, good luck! :)
It is SO hard not to worry about your kids. Zoey didn't walk until she was 16 months old and I was always paranoid there was something wrong. You just have to keep reminding yourself they all develop at different rates! Esp since the poor girl couldn't hear much before. She'll be talking tons before you know it!
I wouldn't worry so much about it. I did with Lily because it seemed she was so behind other kids. Then at 3 she got started playing with neighbor kids and was speaking full sentences in one day. It will happen when she wants it to happen. She is still so little. Hang in there your not alone in your worries.
I don't have much to add, because you well know what I went through with Joel and therapy and his speech. All I wanted to say is that you're an AWESOME mom and your gut will be your guide. Listen to your mom instincts and you'll know if this is truly a problem, or something that will naturally take care of itself. And yes, you'll want her to shut up one day :)
I know, it's so hard not to compare them to other kids! Chat with Briene because her youngest Cole is 2 and behind with speach. He had tubes put in his ears too.
Post a Comment