Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Productive Day!!

So, you know what I realized today? I used to be really funny on this blog. I scrolled through some old posts of mine the other day and anything pre-boot camp was so funny I nearly peed my pants. I may have been high on lack of sleep and boredom though. Everything post boot camp has been fairly boring and informative...BLAH!
*
However or unfortunately, whichever you prefer, I have more of those boring informative filled posts to grace the internet's presence with.
*
Oh, and p.s. (even though this isn't the end of the post) there won't be any pictures on the blog for a little while. The software to get the pictures off my camera is still at home - in Utah - and isn't uploaded on to this laptop. There probably IS a way to download the pictures anyway, I'm just not one that knows enough about computers to try and figure it out.
*
SO back to the information. Today was a VERY productive day! In one hour today we managed to accomplish more than I have since being here, it was fantastic!
*
On Sunday someone mentioned to us at church that they thought the whole "6-9 month waiting list for housing" was just not true. He had friends in high places (people in high places in the housing department...although I'm sure he's friendly with heaven as well) and said he was going to call them on Tuesday to try and get us in to housing on base.
*
We were excited but tried not to get our hopes up too high. We did have an apartment lined up for the 15th that looked nice and so we weren't worried about it. He called me back on Tuesday and said, "Yeah, for some reason they're telling people the wait is that long but they're actually able to get people in to a house within a couple weeks in most cases. So I would go see what they say."
*
We were stoked - but again trying not to get our hopes up too high.
*
So yesterday I stayed VERY busy by driving all around base getting paperwork for insurance, housing applications, new ID appointments etc. and ended yesterday feeling annoyed at the loss of answers for all the work I had done. Combine that with the fact that - true to her personality - Claire turfed it two times smashing her face on the ground and had a blowout (she's 2 for crying out loud) at the library and then Brielle rammed her own face in to a bar on a staircase...it was just a stressful day.
*
Today however I got my ID at 3:00 - hallelujah! I'm actually legit to be on base again!! - however more than a bit annoyed that every time (3 to be exact) I've had to get some sort of photo ID since I've been married has been when I was 8 months pregnant, 4 months pregnant and 6 months pregnant...it's very sad that all of my photo ID's are of me puffy, fat and miserable. I'm starting to think that's just the real me now...so sad.
*
Anyway, after the ID appointment we went to the housing office at 3:20 and finished their paperwork. We then took that to the contracting housing company that runs the base housing at about 3:45 and by 4:00 we were walking through a house on base....OUR HOUSE!!
*
That's right, we got a house ON BASE! I was SHOCKED! I'm using A LOT OF CAPS!!! Do you know how much excitement comes with CAPS and exclamation points?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!
*
So the details are as follows:
*
- 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom single family home - did I mention ON BASE!?
*
- That means no neighbors above or below to annoy or be annoyed by!
*
- We get to have our washer and dryer with us after all! The joy that brings with knowing we'll have a newborn soon is unmatched by almost anything. The apartment we had lined up just had laundry facilities so we were leaving our washer and dryer in the good hands of family. Now we yanked it out of their hands and are taking it back...we're awesome like that.
*
- A GIANT shady, awesome park just right through our backyard.
*
- Quiet tree lined street with a lot of flat areas - including a DRIVEWAY for Brielle to cruise around on her bike.
*
- Did I mention it's ON BASE?! Which means it's gated and safe!?
*
- It will be ready for us to move in on September 21st...a few days after we were originally going to be moving in to the apartment we had lined up, but totally worth the few extra days of dealing with the EconoLodge.
*
I still can't get over the fact that if I hadn't come down early we would have never found out about the housing. We would have moved in to the apartment and gotten settled and THEN had people tell us we could have gotten housing.
*
I would have been mad if that had happened, because we wouldn't have been able to do anything about it. We would have had to stay in the apartment and just dealt with it.
*
This way we - unfortunately - had to eat our deposit on the apartment but at least we hadn't paid rent or had our things packed and moved in.
*
Brielle was mad that there weren't toys in the backyard of the house...to which I said, "we haven't had toys in our backyard anywhere we've lived. Houses don't just come with toys there already." She got over it when I told her she could actually ride her bike around there. The house we lived at in Utah was on a big hill and there wasn't anywhere for her to ride her bike.
*
We are VERY happy about how things have come together, I couldn't be more thankful for the way they are just falling in to place. I can actually go to sleep tonight feeling optimistic about the days to come knowing what lies ahead and that we have things set and ready to go.
*
Now what to do to keep busy until the 21st so we don't have to sit around at the EconoLodge all day......that could be a little more tricky.

7 comments:

Dusty And Mandi said...

I'm glad you got housing on post! It sounds nice!

Annie said...

Yay! I'm glad everything is working out so well. Good luck with the hotel living. We've been doing it for 8 weeks...it does definitely get a little old.
Also, our laptop has a slot where the memory card from the camera just slides in and you can take the pictures directly off of it. I don't know much about that kind of stuff, it's worth checking out though!
Good luck with getting settled!

Cleverly Triple said...

congrats on the house, that's exciting!

Brenda Smith said...

Congratulations Camille! I am so happy for you! What a great blessing.

Ali said...

so happy to read the housing news!

Sarah Hatch said...

Yay! That's so exciting!

Brittany said...

Congrats! I think there are lots of prayers coming your way. I always laugh at your blog (except for when it makes me cry) what can I say, you just have a way of bringing out all sorts of emotions! I'm so glad things are working out, soon you will be all settled!