It seems everything in our lives is up in the air at the moment and the one thing I'm holding on tightly to is the fact that spring is around the corner and I can hopefully start being outside more. Going for walks, playing in the yard, so many things I want to do in the sun!

It just so happens that the first day of spring is on my birthday...I do not think it's a coincidence at all. I mean the day I came in to the world I'm sure the sun started shining brighter, flowers started to bloom. I mean...have you met me? I'm everything spring entails, joy, sunshine, happiness...especially in the mornings...or if you take my chocolate.
As many know already, Marty is about to go off to basic training for the army, a.k.a. boot camp, a.k.a. biggest loser with people that hate you. We're keeping our fingers crossed that we will get an EXACT day tomorrow. It was originally set to be March 25th but what I haven't talked about is the fact that we've opted to go the active army route versus the army reserves which will probably change the day he leaves.
Yep, quite a change I know but we're excited. After Marty completes basic training (9 weeks) we're all moving to San Antonio, Texas for his 6 months of training to be a radiology technician. I can hardly wait to be in Texas through the hottest part of the summer!! (Note the thick layer of sarcasm.) This training was originally 1 year but as we were mulling over decisions found out they just cut it in half this year to 6 months!
Marty had always planned on becoming a radiology technician and was originally going to go through the reserves to help pay for school and stuff. But when we realized that the army offered the same training and it took 6 months instead of almost 4 years of going to school full-time and working at a job he adores (a.k.a. dislikes a great deal) more than anything in the world, it seemed like a no brainer.
If you're still hanging in there, trying to make it through this monster post, I commend you. Don't feel that you need to...but if you want more details then feel free to continue. Just don't say I didn't warn you.
The reason we went for the active duty instead of reserves is that it cuts the time in half from 6 years to 3 years of enlistment, and we wouldn't be able to go with him for his 6 months training if he was in the reserves. We knew that we couldn't be away from each other for 8 months (basic and radiology training combined) and this was the way we could keep our little family intact.
After his 6 months of training we're off again, this time we have no idea where to. We're pretty sure we're going to put Hawaii as our number one choice on the wish list...hey, we can dream can't we?
They will station us where there is a VA hospital and for a little over 2 years he will get to work there as a radiology technician and then we're done and free to move on with our lives with the degree he wants and 2 years of experience in his job field.
My biggest concern is moving away from family. I will miss all the family dinners and the spur of the moment getting together. But I'm SO excited for me and Marty and our little family to have this experience that will help us learn to rely more on each other.
Now if only I can convince my brain that this IS just a big adventure and not at all scary we'll be set. :)
13 comments:
Wow! That is a big change! Good luck. It WILL be a huge adventure!
That's so exciting...and nerve wracking! I'm sure it will be a great experience for you. We envy that you get to move out of state. We feel the same way about we love family being near to help and just to know they're close if we need anything, but in the same respect we want some space for our own little family. :)
"the biggest loser but where they hate you...."
You are soooooooooo funny. Oh goodness. I can understand your anxieties! But it totally sounds like a well thought out plan. I wish you the best in Texas. Right under your Hawaii request, you should list South Carolina. :) Wink, wink!! It will be a great bonding experience for the family. It's hard to be away from family, but you'll have a great experience. Could I sound more cliche'?
That will be quite an adventure. If it makes you feel any better, my sister lived in San Antonio for about 5 years. They just moved to Dallas and really miss San Antonio. It is a really nice place. And the temple is beautiful!
Wow, what a big change. Sounds like a really great plan, though.
Good luck with everything. Utah will miss you ):
That IS a big change! Good luck following through! That will be quite the adventure. At least you'll be together through it all.
Wow! That will be quite the adventure. I look forward to hearing all about it! Good luck with everything!
How exciting and scary all at the same time, but you will do great, and you will love it! Richard and I moved to Milwaukee last year so he could go to medical school and we absolutely love it. We miss our families like crazy, but wouldn't trade the experiences we've had here. Good luck!
You are so brave! I'm very excited for you that you will all be together though. My sister in law hasn't seen her hubby for almost a year, and she misses him so much. She is about to move to Korea with him though, so that is good. I hope everything goes well! I would be freaking out!
Wow, what a good supportive wife you are. It's going to be really hectic for a while, but it will all be worth it in the end. I hope Marty finds out the exact date soon, and it better not be before your birthday! :) You definitely are brave. But if anyone can do it, it's you. Seriously, you always have such a positive attitude. Every time I see Marty's mom I tell her how amazing you are. Is that weird considering we've only hung out once? I'm really not a stalker! :)
I can sort of relate to the whole moving away from family. We moved to Missouri for a summer and it was hard to be away, but at the same time it was nice to get away, see a new town, and be able to focus more on Ky. There were times when I wish I had family closer, but a phone call away isn't bad. It was a fun experience and I hope things will go well for you and your fam (I'm sure it will)!
Wow, those are crazy big changes! Good luck with everything and I hope you guys are doing well! Texas sounds good right about now...no snow...
Whoa...lots of change of coming you way, but Im sure it is all for a good reason and wonderful things are awaiting you and your adorable family. Sometimes you have to make huge sacrifices for schooling but it is so worth it in the end. I hope that things go very smoothly during the transition and you keep blogging to keep us up to date!
Post a Comment