There I was, sitting in the La-Z-Boy reading while the kids were outside jumping, when all of the sudden Brielle and Claire come running in looking terrified, and I can hear Addison screaming as well. I quickly jump up to go find Addison while Brielle is rattling off to me, "We heard a really loud noise, and it was scary and I....." I tuned her out when I saw that Addison had blood pouring out of her mouth and on her skirt
I couldn't figure out what had happened between Brielle and Claire trying to tell me, and Addison screaming and bleeding.
These are the worst kind of moments as a mother.
I got Addison sucking on a washcloth and calmed her down a little. I assumed she had maybe bit her tongue or something, but upon further inspection I found out she had torn her upper lip frenulum somehow.
What is the frenulum you ask?
That little tissue connecting the upper lip to the gum. That would be a frenulum. And Addison managed to rip it completely in half. She is one of those that her frenulum was quite low, almost reaching her teeth, so it was a pretty big tear.
That is when I REALLY started worrying and wondering what in the world happened, and why the two big girls had abandoned her outside on the trampoline by herself when she was so scared.
After a little detective work, and interpreting the best I could of Addison's 2 year old explanation (since nobody witnessed it), we believe we know what happened.
When the loud noise happened (which we are pretty sure was someone doing fireworks) the girls freaked out and jumped off the trampoline. In her freaked out state, Addison jumped off too rather than using the step to get down.
That would be when her upper lip came into contact/caught on the top of a tall sprinkler head in the flower bed nearby, ripping the frenulum.
I know...GROSS.
Poor baby girl.
Dr. Google (as well as a friend who's husband is a dentist) said there's nothing to be done about it. It will heal on its own. For now, it's swollen and tender, but she is doing pretty good. The band-aid in the picture is because she insisted on one, even though the cut was inside her mouth. She settled for a band-aid mustache, or "stache-aid" as my awesome sister-in-law Sara called it.
Addison is sure one tough cookie!

1 comment:
My 6 yr old has a very low frenulum and the dentist has been hoping she would accidentally tear it herself like her twin brother..he feels it is less traumatic than him cutting it. Those things bleed like crazy though!
Post a Comment