Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Tax Return Season

The time of year has finally come that we got our beloved tax returns!

We were planning on rewarding our children for being born - thus giving us a large tax return - by getting a puppy. We (meaning ME) had researched and had decided on the perfect breed, searched through every classified ad this side of the Mississippi and were ready to make the leap in to doggy-owner-hood. I just KNEW my girls were mature enough and ready for their own dog.


(A white miniature schnauzer...hypoallergenic and CUTE AS CAN BE!)



Okay, so maybe it wasn't that I knew my kids were mature enough, I just knew that I was baby hungry but not ready for a baby and that a puppy would help reduce those baby wanting needs by giving me something else that’s small and cuddly to take care of.


Is that horrible of me to be baby hungry but not be ready to have one? Well, I’m sorry if it is but my husband is leaving for four months and I don’t want to be huge and pregnant AND be raising two kids on my own. So...there’s my rant/excuse, even though it really has nothing to do with what we were discussing.

BACK to our discussion of doggy-owner-hood. My brother and sister-in-law (aka gracious landlords) went to the owner of the house since they are renting – yes, they rent and we rent from them. Don’t think about it too hard or your brain my discontinue working...anyways, they went to the owner to ask how he felt about us getting a puppy.

I was hopeful but alas my dreams – uh, I mean my KIDS dreams – of having a puppy were crushed. The owner of the house said he didn’t want more than two dogs in his house (my brother and sister-in-law already have a Boxer and a Rottweiler...not exactly tiny dogs) Obviously we cannot complain, the guy owns the house, he has every right to say no.

So, we started brainstorming what we could do instead so our children wouldn't be too heartbroken over not being able to get their very own puppy. (Really they hardly knew anything of the puppy.) The ideas were things like:

Get a fish


Get a bird


Get a stuffed animal at Build-A-Bear


Go on a small family vacation


PARTAY


Etc.

After much anguish over what decision to make, we finally did conclude with what we believe to be the very best of the best. Being the wonderful parents we are and to help our children (me) be less distraught over the whole thing we took them out for ice cream.


What? We bought them an ice cream cone to compensate for not getting a puppy?? I know, but it does get better.

We then took that money that was going to be going towards a puppy and bought a treadmill.

We pretty much rock as parents!!



Now, excuse me, I must go bring sexy back...

(And yes, for your information I DO look exactly like that when I use the treadmill.)

8 comments:

THE BENNION BUNCH said...

HA HA HA THAT'S HILARIOUS. HEY WHEN MAMMA'S NOT HAPPY NOBODY IS....(AND YES A DOG IS LIKE ANOTHER CHILD...THEY ARE FUN BUT TAKE A LOT OF PATIENCE...I WAS JUST TELLING MY HUSBAND THAT I WANTED A TREADMILL! I HAVE BEEN LOOKING ON KSL THEY HAVE A LOT OF GOOD DEALS THERE. BY THEY WAY YOU LOOK GREAT RUNNING IN YOUR LITTLE BIKER SHORTS AND SPORTS BRA...YOUR NOT EVEN BREAKING A SWEAT!

Johnson Fam said...

That is too funny! The puppy is absolutely adorable, too bad you couldn't get him! :( I have to say, I love reading your posts! I wish we had a treadmill, that would be so nice!

Annie said...

What a cute puppy! Too bad that didn't work out. I'm baby hungry too, but no luck and we already have the I want a baby but can't have one dog! Enjoy the treadmill, they are nice to have!

Chantele Sedgwick said...

Ooooh! I am so jealous! I want some ice cream! A treadmill would be nice too.....:)

Anjuli said...

I love tax returns!!

Anjuli said...

I tagged you

Alison said...

I have to say that being an owner of two dogs one being a St. Bernard who is 3 months old the treadmill was a good call. Puppy's I think are a lot harder than kids. I cannot put a diaper on her and I still have to get up throughout the night to let her out to go potty. So I would suggest a puppy when your kids are older...just speaking from experience.

Brittany said...

From ice cream, to the treadmill. How'd you get from one to the other? :) Sorry no pups in the near future. But when you do decide you're ready to have another baby, then you won't have to worry about a puppy too.